This one-week sea kayaking advanced course is a partnership with the Centro Velico Caprera sailing school, located in the stunning waters and coastline of the Arcipelago di La Maddalena National Park, Sardinia (Italy).
The course is aimed to sea kayakers that:
– have successfully attended a Kayak Inshore course the same year
– are around a level 3 (Pagaia Azzurra or EPP compliant) certification as described in Experience needed tab here below.
In 6 days we will focus on:
- personal skills, self and assisted rescues, different tows, manoeuvering and landings among rocks and guiding in more dynamic conditions;
- kayaking gear (personal, repair, signalling, group) to keep the group safe when paddling longer distances;
- different protocols for leadership, sea safety, sea survival, incident management, VHF, lost person…;
- difficult landing procedures, damaged kayaks, etc.;
- navigation & piloting.
Tuilik and Centro Velico Caprera share the same teaching, safety and environmental approach to sea outdoor activities.
Coaches are all FICK (Federazione Italiana Canoa Kayak)/Sottocosta certified Istruttore, Guida or Maestro.
NEW! Tuilik OFFERS the first year membership to both Sottocosta ASD and FICK to all first-time participants to any kayak course held at CVC that are also new members to Sottocosta and FICK.
Lots of advantages for members, such as kayak events organised by Sottocosta ASD.
FICK affiliation is necessary to award Pagaia Azzurra Certificates.
If you pass the Kayak Explore course you may ask to be awarded with the SK3 Pagaia Azzurra FICK (Federazione Italiana Canoa Kayak) Certificate (cost: 20,00€).
This is a Sea Kayak level 3 EPP (Euro Paddle Pass) compliant certification.
Be able to paddle over a distance of 15 NM, to paddle and tow 2 rafted kayaks over a distance of 2 NM, to comfortably roll and perform self and assisted rescues in conditions and to have already paddled in 10 different > 15 NM trips.
You can register for a Kayak Explore course after having successfully attended a Kayak Inshore course the same year
what to bring
- Luggage: soft bags that can be packed (no hard suitcase)
- Sleeping bag (fitted sheet and pillowcase are provided)
- Personal care (shampoo, soap, towels, ecc.)
As kayakers we have to gear up according to water temperature:
- drysuit (recommended) or neoprene long john
- paddling jacket or spray top
- thermal long sleeved base and mid layers;
- kayak helmet;
- 1 pair of wetsuit boots, old trainers or kayaking shoes or sandals (no flip-flops)
- folding stainless steel or titanium multitool knife (also as table knife). No Opinel or kitchen knife.
- sunglasses and sun protection clothing
- microfiber towel (to bring at sea)
- 4-6 dry bags to stow clothing, food and gear.
- flask (1,0 l) for hot drink in poor weather
Full board accommodation at Centro Velico Caprera, Island of Caprera, Italy.
Comfortable thatched roof cottages with 6 bunks very close to the shore. A packed lunch will be provided if necessary.
All of us will contribute to meal preparation, cafeteria and bathrooms reorder and cleaning.
Meals and bathrooms are shared with sailing course participants.
A small selection of both personal care and outdoor clothing is available at the local CVC shop.
TWO-WEEK SEA KAYAK COURSE?
15 days at sea are more than just the sum of two 1-week courses: build a stronger and lasting experience attending a Kayak Inshore and a Kayak Explore courses consecutively at a discounted rate.
You must successfully pass the Kayak Inshore course in order to continue with a Kayak Explore course.