KAYAK INSHORE | One-week sea kayak introduction course
We will stay within the protected waters of Porto Palma (Island of Caprera) for coaching sessions and paddle along the amazing coastline of the Archipelago for short expeditions.
We will focus on paddling forwards, backwards and sideways, how to keep stability, stop your kayak, perform 360° turns, perform self- rescues and assisted rescues, different towing techniques and other to keep the group safe during an inshore navigation.
Along with that we will deal with stowing criteria, kayaking gear maintenance, navigation & piloting basic techniques, general seamanship, knots and other.
Tuilik and Centro Velico Caprera share the same teaching, safety and environmental approach to sea outdoor activities.
Coaches are all FICK (Federazione Italiana Canoa Kayak)/Sottocosta certified Istruttore, Guida or Maestro.
No previous kayaking experience needed. Some water confidence is necessary.
Being fit help since we stay at sea for quite a few hours.
what to bring
- Luggage: soft bags that can be packed (no hard suitcase);
- Sleeping bag (fitted sheet and pillowcase are provided);
- Personal care (shampoo, soap, towels, ecc.).
As kayakers we have to gear up according to water temperature:
- drysuit (recommended) or neoprene long john;
- paddling jacket or spray top;
- thermal long sleeved base and mid layers;
- 1 pair of wetsuit boots, old trainers or kayaking shoes or sandals (no flip-flops);
- folding stainless steel or titanium multitool knife (also as table knife). No Opinel or kitchen knife;
- sunglasses and sun protection clothing;
- microfiber towel (to bring at sea);
- dry bags to stow clothing and food;
- flask (1,0 l) for hot drink in poor weather.
Full board accommodation at Centro Velico Caprera, Island of Caprera, Italy.
Comfortable thatched roof cottages with 6 bunks very close to the shore. A packed lunch will be provided if necessary.
All of us will contribute to meal preparation, cafeteria and bathrooms reorder and cleaning.
Meals and bathrooms are shared with sailing courses participants.
A small selection of both personal care and outdoor clothing is available at the local CVC shop.
Booking is managed by CVC Centro Velico Caprera and will open on February 7th.
Course fee and booking will be available from February 7th, 2020